Sunday, October 12, 2008

Second Hand Treasures......

~~~I love 2nd hand treasures. I love things that are worn, torn, soiled that have a story to tell. I don't repair the gold frames of some of the portraits I collect. I hang them as is. I have pictures of my ancestors all over my house. I like things that have lived a life and are original and that give me joy... just by looking at them. I value things that have been given to me by loved ones. My husband is even gotten into the 2nd hand treasure I find.... We've brought things from our trips to various places and I have found old things in England or France or even an old book makes me happy. I've had friends...not into old things give me a first addition book or old tea cup or old basket and I just love it. Every time I look at it and pick it up. I remember who gave it to me. If I admire something and he's with me....he loves to surprise me....by going back and buying it. I like different things that maybe not everyone would pick...because it speaks to me of sentiment and love and romance. I'm very sentimental. A modern home is just too cold for me. I'll let others have that. For me I like to surround myself with keepsakes and good memories....I like changing, redecorating and moving things around. My mother and her sisters were always working on their homes and into their own sense of style. They had a flare to them and my mom's mom was a lady of style and enjoyed making her home a fun place for her family. It was fun to see the new things around the house and the beautiful dinners they put on. I guess that's the Greek/French...artistic side of me that keeps me busy as a bee in my house decorating, fixing and creating and cooking.... Creating beauty around me is one of my hobbies.... It makes life fun for me.


No comments: