Saturday, November 29, 2008

California Grey Coyote



Curious Coyote Facts
Only 5-20% of coyote pups survive their first year.The coyote can run at almost 40 mph and can get over a 8' fence.Coyotes can breed with both domestic dogs and wolves. A dog-coyote mix is called a "coydog."The coyote is more likely afraid of you than vice-versa.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The other day I was walking along happily and in my path on the sidewalk was a wild coyote. It didn't move. It stood there and stared at me. I wasn't sure if I was suppose to be afraid or if it would eventually turn and run the other way. I tried to shoo it. It didn't respond. I was thinking about rabies and dog bites. haha No one was around. Everyone was asleep. It was just me and the coyote. I decided not to turn around and go back and kept walking towards it. Finally he turned around on the path and started going ahead of me looking back now and then. I kept walking....there was a curve with bushes and I was afraid he would be around the corner. But, he took off. I had an adrenaline rush and weak knees...but, I was determined to keep walking. I'm a big scaredy cat. lol
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I like to walk at 6am in the morning. I try to walk an hour a day and that way I am back to wake up my kids for school at 7am. One reason I like it is because the world is quiet....the breeze is cool. There are usually the same one or two people out walking or jogging. Later by 8am there are a good number of people jogging or walking. I like the solitude of the early morning to meditate and create and listen to my praise music and talk to God. We live in the hills next to the Canyons and Mountains. There are several types of creatures that live there. We have coyote, mountain lions, deer, and a neighborhood fat rabbit that I see almost daily under one bush or the other. It's neat and it's scarey. I love walking here in California.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: