Friday, January 9, 2009

Day 9-Daniel Fast

I have been experimenting with Tofu and Soy "meat" products. The kids have enjoyed the Soy Nuggets and Tofurkey for their lunches. Yesterday I took Sharayah to one of our favorite little Lebanese Restaurants....it's in a converted(small) house in the Chapman University area of town. We had Hummus and Tabbouleh and Vegetarian Grape leaves. I got brave and ordered Eggplant Moussaka...thinking I may like Eggplant more....since I'm eating on the Daniel Fast. I still didn't like it. lol So, I wasted the whole meal...took one bite and didn't eat the rest. It's a learning process to find what we like and how to make our food look appealing. :-) I'm in favor of ethnic foods. I've been into cooking Middle Eastern, Mexican, Asian on this fast...I like the spices and it smells good when cooking. It's hard to reproduce the American diet on this...and I don't care to. I recommend using Whole Wheat Tortilla's for a variety of meals...ie Veggie Fajita's. I have done it many different ways...I took the small baby potatoes-slice, saute' with sliced red pepper, green bell pepper, onion, zucchini, squash or any other veggies you prefer---put a layer of organic-dairy free refried beans if you want....or black beans...homemade salsa...you can add any of your favorite veggies to make it as elaborate as you wish...sometimes I like it simple...other times I add shredded lettuce and tomato....it is delicious. :-)


Tabouleh
Ingredients
1 bunch parsley
1 small onion
1 small tomato
3 tbs Bulgur (cracked wheat)
juice of 1 lemon
olive oil

Instructions
Soak bulgur for 1 hour in warm water
chop parsley very fine
chop onion and tomato
combine all ingredients
drizzle olive oil and squeeze lemon into mixture
salt to taste

I use whole wheat pita(cut in half) to put hummus in or even the tabouleh. You can buy the box mix for Taboule. Sometimes I also like to buy my hummus already made....from Trader Joes. I prefer the original/traditional....now they make it with all types of flavors.

Hummus~
Ingredients:
1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
1/4 cup liquid from can of chickpeas
3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil

Preparation:Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can. Combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor. Add 1/4 cup of liquid from chickpeas. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth. Place in serving bowl, and create a shallow well in the center of the hummus.Add a small amount (1-2 tablespoons) of olive oil in the well. Garnish with parsley (optional).Serve immediately with fresh, warm or toasted pita bread, or cover and refrigerate.

No comments: